Monday, June 7, 2010

Small and Simple Things


Me and Tye watched a scary movie tonight. Right after the movie, he went do do his homework, and I jumped in the shower to get ready for bed. All of a sudden, I got really scared. All of the horror movies that I had ever watched came into my head. I was terrified. So, naturally I started singing primary songs, and I refused to look in the mirror or close my eyes. By the time I was done, I was no longer afraid. In fact, the spirit was with me. I was calm and serene.

This got me thinking. Why Primary songs?? I have been told by many people that when I am scared, to sing my favorite Primary song. But why? Sure they are short and simple, and everyone who has grown up in the church, or who has kids that are growing up in the church knows them. But why not say... recite your favorite conference talk. Everyone has a conference talk that means something to them. Or they could say, repeat the sacrament prayers. We hear them week after week. Surely we know them.

I personally feel that its the small and Simple things that can have the most impact on our lives. Reading the Scriptures, saying our prayers and going to church. All of church. I know that in that moment, when I was scared, I could not think of the sacrament prayers, and no church talks stood out in my mind, but those primary songs came back loud and clear. Sweet, and small and Simple.

No comments: